Estimated Time to Read: 3 minutes
It is best to prepare infant formula using distilled water. It is different than other types of purified water. Water can be purified using reverse osmosis or deionization. But only distilled water removes all impurities as well as minerals from water. Deionization can remove salt and mineral ions but not all impurities. Reverse osmosis removes impurities and some amounts of minerals. The best distilled water for baby is pure and stored in sterilized bottles. It also undergoes stringent quality tests.
Benefits of Using Distilled Water for Babies
Distilled water doesn’t contain any minerals. If you use it to prepare infant formula, you can protect your child from a mineral overdose.
Formula contains minerals in the optimum quantities. Babies don’t require any more of it from other sources. The human body requires minerals only in small amounts. Excess intake of minerals can cause overdose and toxicity in the body. Excessive mineral consumption can also cause other problems. For instance, excessive phosphorus intake can lead to the hardening of soft tissues and organs. It can also cause diarrhea and interfere with the body’s ability to process other minerals.
Springwater or purified water contains minerals. If you use any of these types of water to prepare formula, you risk your child’s health. The use of distilled water offers you the safest option to prepare formula.
Choosing the Best Distilled Water for Babies
Distillation is a process. So, when you are buying distilled water; you need to consider several things to make the best choice for your baby’s health.
Online search – You can conduct a simple online search using keywords such as the best distilled water for baby. Such keywords will help you find companies that make distilled water for babies. You need to check the websites of these companies to know more about their product and the way it is made.
Information – Check the websites to read about the safety and quality assurance employed by the companies. Genuine companies will definitely list their process of distilling water on their websites to help their prospective clients make an informed choice about their babies’ well-being.
Quality parameters – Choose distilled water of a specific brand only if it clears quality parameters both in terms of the water and its packaging.
- Water should be filtered before it is distilled. Hard water needs to be softened before it can be sent to the distillation chamber. For the filtration process, it is important that the water passes through a filter of about 1-micron. It helps to screen and remove microscopic impurities. The distilled water needs to be stored in temperature-controlled silos before it can receive the ozone treatment and packed into bottles.
- The bottles need to be decontaminated using an ozone rinse. Bottles also need to be capped before they leave the filter station. The bottles also need to be checked for cross-contamination before the sanitization process even begins.
- The stored water needs to be inspected for the ideal ozone levels. Filter inspections must be conducted with regular intervals throughout the day. The company also needs to keep proper records of ozone level changes and other quality parameters. The distilling process also needs to be done under strict supervision and with the highest quality standards in mind.
- The distilled water should be free of all minerals. A less-than-ideal distillation process can leave mineral traces in the water. The best distilled water for babies needs to be free of fluoride too. Excess fluoride can cause dental fluorosis, which you can notice in an infant’s teeth as white streaks.
Convenience of use – It is best to buy distilled water in single-serve convenient packs. Single-serve bottles will reduce contamination once you uncap the bottle and use some of the water from it. Such bottles are also easy to carry around during travels or when you are on the move. You can keep one in your bag without adding the unnecessary bulk of large bottles.
Ease of buying – You should be able to easily order your distilled water supply online. The company also needs to offer free shipping on an express basis and hassle-free returns. With the above considerations in mind, you can choose the best distilled water for your baby.
- Things You Need to Know About Baby Bottle Mixer A baby bottle mixer is a device to prepare foods for infants in the most...
- What is the Difference Between Distilled Water and Purified Water? All first-time parents worry about the safety of their infants, especially when it comes to...
- Family Campsite Tips to Help You and Your Family Stay Safe and Comfortable Camping is an excellent activity that a family can enjoy together. It can be loads...
- Five Staycation Ideas That Won’t Bust Your Budget A staycation is a holiday or vacation where you go to places near your home....